Sometimes, it’s not just an individual dealing with the ravages of drug use and addiction. A couple may go through the same struggles but deal with them together. Couples’ rehab is one method of facing this issue together, giving a couple a fighting chance at overcoming both of their addictions. Instead of treating two individuals separately, couples’ rehab looks at building the bond between those people and using that bond to overcome the challenges of overcoming addiction.
What is a couples’ rehab?
A couples’ rehab facility is where married or cohabiting couples recover from addiction and other compulsive behaviors, such as gambling, eating disorders, and sexual addictions. Couples’ rehab is also known as “relationship rehab” because it treats relationships between two people. It can help partners understand each other’s habits and develop healthy communication skills. In a relationship rehab program, each partner receives addiction treatment tailored to their individual needs.
The features of an effective couples’ rehab
The first thing to look for in an effective couples’ rehab offers individualized treatment. This will depend on the specific needs of each patient and the issues they are facing. Many treatment centers take a holistic approach, offering couples therapy and individual therapy and building healthy habits together as a family. While staying connected to your partner during recovery is essential, it’s also important to make progress on your own to have a more stable foundation for your relationship once you return home.
Because addiction is such a destructive force in families and relationships, the couple’s time in treatment must be as positive as possible. The best programs offer recreational and educational activities to bring patients closer together and build trust. There should be time for interaction with other people in the same situation, and at least some of those interactions should be in a group setting so that people can learn from each other’s experiences.
Finding a program that offers outpatient therapy after the initial treatment is complete is also essential. Relapse rates are high among addicts and alcoholics; especially when they return home to the same environment they were in when they started abusing substances or engaging in addictive behaviors.
24 Hour Addiction Hotline
Benefits of a couples’ rehab setting
Couples’ rehab offers a different setting than typical programs, which allows the people in a relationship to learn how to better care for one another. Rather than only focusing on the individual’s needs and problems, this therapy focuses on how those in the relationship interact. When two people come together in a therapeutic setting, they have an opportunity to become more aware of each other’s feelings and concerns. Through counseling, spouses can learn new ways to communicate and express their needs more effectively. Couples who participate together can work through issues from their past together and learn how to avoid future relational problems by examining how they got into trouble in the first place.
If you are struggling with an addiction or substance abuse problem and your spouse is also involved in your habit or behavior, you must seek professional help immediately.
Possible drawbacks to attending rehab with your partner
If you and your partner are facing addiction issues together, it can be a difficult decision to decide whether or not to attend rehab as a couple. In many cases, rehab is a more practical option than trying to recover on your own. It’s not uncommon for partners struggling with addiction to fall back into old patterns when they’re not present to support each other, so the structure of rehab can make all the difference. However, a few drawbacks to consider exist when thinking about going with your partner. You may want to think about how it will impact your relationship outside of treatment:
- Rehabilitation is a very personal process. Your treatment plan and recovery goals may differ significantly from your partner’s. You may be trying to work on different things to treat your addiction successfully. This could lead to conflict and ultimately cause you to give up on recovery and each other.
- If you are both in treatment simultaneously, this could also mean that one person receives twice as much therapy as the other just because they have twice as much time in treatment. In addition, some people feel like their privacy has been violated when they have their romantic partner present in the same rehab facility.
The best way to deal with these issues is by planning carefully before beginning treatment. Talk about these issues with your therapist before starting treatment to decide the best options for both of you during this difficult time.
How does individual treatment as part of a couples’ rehab program work?
Individual treatment is an effective tool when part of a couples rehab program. The goal of individual treatment is to gain knowledge and skills for long-term recovery, but it also serves as a couple’s time away from each other to work on their issues. Individual therapy provides the opportunity for members of the couple to focus on themselves without having to worry about their partner.
The individual(s) in treatment must recognize that the issues they are facing are not about them or their relationship but alcohol and drug use. It’s also important to remember that the issue at hand could be a symptom of a more significant problem. This can be true in any relationship, whether it involves substance abuse. When working individually with your therapist, you will learn more about self-awareness and what you need to do to maintain sobriety.
24 Hour Mental Health Hotline
Is relationship counseling required in couples’ rehab?
Most people who go through couples’ recovery treatment find that they have a much better chance of long-lasting success if they take advantage of the counseling services available. The experts and counselors at rehab are there to help you, allowing you to learn how to sustain your relationship.
Generally speaking, couples recovering from addiction must be committed to the treatment process for it to work. This means you are willing to complete all the necessary steps, including attending group sessions and individual counseling. Both partners must be sincere during these sessions, discussing your relationship and addiction. Often, this means addressing issues such as finances, sex life, communication style, parenting responsibilities, and more.
If you’re not willing to commit to attending counseling regularly while you’re receiving addiction treatment, then couples’ counseling might not be suitable for you. However, it might be worth it if your desire is to ensure your relationship survives your recovery.
How much does rehab for couples cost?
The average rehab cost for couples starts at $25,000 a month or more, per person. This can vary considerably depending on several factors, including:
- Which state you live in or where the treatment center is located; Some states with larger populations offer more options, and competition between facilities can lead to lower prices.
- The type and number of treatment sessions; While one-on-one treatment tends to be more costly than group therapy due to higher staff-to-patient ratios, there are more options for group therapy that can result in lower costs.
- The focus of the program; While some programs are designed specifically for couples struggling with addiction, others are intended for people with other types of mental health issues and will have different costs associated with them.
- The type and length of aftercare services offered; Ongoing support for recovery is an integral part of maintaining sobriety
Ultimately it is nigh impossible to map out a specific cost for therapy that will apply across the board to everyone because, by its very nature, it is a bespoke service with far too many variables that change from person to person.
Does a couples rehab take insurance for treatment?
Couples’ recovery programs are a relatively new phenomenon. While individual drug and alcohol rehab centers had been available for years, couples therapy was only introduced as specialized treatment in the late 1990s. As of 2011, most insurance providers will cover at least some of the cost of attending couples rehab (though it is essential to check on the particulars of your specific policies before committing to a program).
How do you find the right holistic rehab for your couples’ treatment?
As with most things in life, the first step often leads to the rest of them. In this case, the first step is finding a great rehab with holistic methods. Holistic rehab centers provide treatment with body, mind, and spirit in mind. This makes them a good choice for those struggling with addiction who might also be dealing with other mental health or emotional issues.
Immediate Placement for Mental Health Treatment
Choosing a holistic recovery option as a couple
In general, though, knowing which facility is worth your time and money can be a difficult decision to make. This is especially true for couples rehabs in particular—it’s not just about looking at multiple facilities and making an educated decision based on the information on the website or brochure; it’s also about hearing the experiences of others who have gone through the process before. The internet is a magnificent tool for finding options. Usually, a wealth of facilities are available just a google search away. The most important thing would be to remember the important questions you have to ask yourself when making your decision. Some factors to keep in mind are:
- Reputation: A facility worth investing your and your partner’s money into will likely have a reputation that precedes them. Specifically, you should be paying attention to the facility’s track record. Are they mainly known for favorable results? What sort of experiences have people reported having with their service? Are they open about their success rate? Can you find reviews and testimonials of past clients’ experiences? These things can speak volumes about their viability as an option for you.
- License/Qualifications: Is the facility licensed to operate? Are their healthcare professionals adequately certified and qualified to carry out the treatments their purport to? This information should be front and center on the facility’s website. If it’s not, you can and should ask for that information. Any facility that is hesitant or outright refuses to give you a direct confirmation that they are appropriately qualified to be carrying out treatments should be immediately disregarded as a valid option.
- The treatment programs: Everyone’s therapy needs are different and unique. It is essential to ensure that the specific treatment programs offered are what you and your partner would benefit from. Whichever facility you decide upon, you should make sure they use evidence-based approaches. Rehabilitation invariably comes down to a combination of medication, holistic treatments as well as therapy of some sort. Being sure that the treatments on offer are the exact right fit for you and your partner is critical.
Not all holistic rehabs are the same. Emerald Isle Health & Recovery is dedicated to helping each client overcome their addiction, working alongside them and their partner to develop a treatment that works. Contact us today to learn more about our methods or to schedule a visit today!